Welcome to the PTCMW Annual Graduate Student Consulting Challenge Competition webpage! Started in 2014, the Consulting Challenge is a graduate student competition developed by PTCMW to allow students to develop key professional skills, while expanding their professional networks and winning great prizes! Specific information for the annual competition is listed below. Thank you for visiting!
For specific questions not covered on this page, contact here.
2021 Consulting Challenge Date:
October 14-18, 2021
Consulting Challenge Sponsor
How Does the Challenge Work?
1. 30 registered students are selected to participate (PTCMW membership required). Students are considered in the order that they register.
2. Students are then placed on a team of 3-6 people with students from other universities.
3. The sponsor organization then presents teams with a Request for Proposal (RFP) that outlines a real organizational challenge.
4. Teams work together to develop a two-page executive summary and presentation.
5. Sponsor organization representatives and expert I-Os will judge presentations and rate executive summaries.
6. One team will win the challenge and be awarded with $1,350. The runner up team will be awarded with $750.
TEAM COMPOSITION: PTCMW leadership reviews applications in regards to previous work or research experience, university affiliation, and year in school in order to develop diverse and fair teams.
Why Should You Participate?
EXPERIENCE A REALISTIC JOB PREVIEW: PTCMW and the sponsor organization present a real challenge local organizations are currently facing in a realistic RFP format. Students present as if they were external consultants bidding on a consulting project. Solutions are judged by expert practitioners based on theory, technical merit, and innovation.
EXPAND PROFESSIONAL NETWORK: Students currently enrolled in local I-O and related programs are assigned to a group made up of students with differing expertise, knowledge, and program affiliations. Students will be assigned to teams and given the opportunity to network with other students, PTCMW members, and representatives from the sponsor's organization.
DEVELOP CONSULTING SKILLS: Teams are responsible for building an effective team, developing products, and presenting results.
BUILD COMMUNICATION SKILLS: Each team presents to an independent panel of expert I-O judges and receives invaluable feedback.
WIN PRIZES: The winning team will win $1,350, and the runner‐up team will win $750. In addition, every participating team will receive a free year of PTCMW student membership. The top three teams will be recognized to the PTCMW community.
How To Register
ELIGIBILITY: Students must be in a Master’s or Doctoral program in Industrial-Organizational Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Management or related program. Students must commit to contribute equally and fairly to their team for the entire duration of the challenge. We encourage students from outside of the greater Washington, DC Metro to participate also. PTCMW membership is required to participate.
FOR QUESTIONS: Contact here.
2014-2017: PDRI, an SHL Company