State of Maryland
Location: Baltimore, MD
Main Purpose Of Job
The HR Officer III position develops recruitment, selection and promotion procedures and instruments for unique classifications and position specific vacancies that meet legal and psychometric standards. This includes administering, reviewing and revising the same.
The HR Officer III position is the fully proficient level of highly complex technical work in the construction and validation of employment examinations that conform to rigorous legal and technical guidelines and requirements. This position will perform the full range of examination duties including designing and conducting recruitment strategies; writing and publishing job announcements; reviewing application for minimum qualifications; conducting job analysis; planning, writing, administering and scoring examinations; compiling, publishing and maintaining eligible lists and securing all test materials and applicant records. This position will be required to travel statewide to administer and monitor employment exams and will lead DJS test monitors in the test administration process. The position also conducts interview skills training for management and HR staff. The ideal candidate will possess a Master's degree in HR Management, Organizational Development or Psychology AND be experienced conducting job analyses for the purpose of developing or assessing written tests as well as interpreting item analyses and adverse impact analysis OR experience conducting full scale recruitments (requisition to hire details) in JobAps for Maryland State government.
Education: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Three years of professional HR experience involving recruitment and employment services, classification and compensation, employee relations, test development and validation, job analysis, job evaluation, salary administration, HR program evaluation, or HR policy formulation.
1. Professional HR management work in the areas of recruitment and selection, classification, salary administration, employee-employer relations, or test development and validation or as a generalist may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education.
2. Paraprofessional personnel work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education. Paraprofessional personnel work is defined as work involving the application of public sector personnel procedures, policies, rules and regulations to specific employment actions. Appropriate paraprofessional personnel experience includes responsibility for activities such as: preparing and maintaining employment records, calculating salaries, applying personnel-related rules and policies, preparing personnel-related reports, conducting employee orientation, counseling employees regarding benefits and obligations, and responding to inquiries concerning employment procedures.
3. Thirty graduate credit hours from an accredited college or university in the fields of HR/personnel administration, human resources management, business administration, public administration, statistics, tests and measurements, psychology or a related field may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in human resources management classifications or human resources management specialty codes in the human resources management field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
One year of the required experience must have been in areas of employment recruitment and assessment.
Desired or Preferred Qualifications
1. Experience conducting job analysis for the purpose of test development or assessing written tests as well as interpreting item analyses and adverse impact analyses.
2. A Master's Degree in HR Management, Organizational Development, or Psychology
3. Experience conducting full scale recruitments (requisition to hire details) in JobAps for Maryland State government.
4. Experience developing and facilitating HR related training to employees.
Licenses, Registrations, and Certification
1. Employees in this classification are required to obtain certification in State Personnel Management System policies and procedures and in the functionality of the Statewide Personnel System from the Office of Personnel Services and Benefits, Department of Budget and Management within six months from the time of appointment to the position. Employees are also required to obtain recertification every six months thereafter.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Applicants who meet the Minimum Qualifications and Selective Qualification will be placed on the eligible list categorized as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified. Candidates shall be certified to the eligible list for a year. Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year. This list will be used by DJS hiring agency to select employees.
The assessment will be a rating of your application based on your education, training, and experience as it relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate educational and employment information on your application. Please make sure to provide sufficient information on your application to show how you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. For education obtained outside the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service prior to hire. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
Online application process is strongly urged. https://www.jobaps.com/MD/sup/bulpreview.asp?R1=17&R2=004917&R3=0005
However, if you are unable to apply on line you may mail a paper application to the address below. The paper application must be received by 5 pm, close of business, on the closing date for this recruitment, no postmarks will be accepted. Incorrect application forms will not be accepted:
The resulting Certified Eligible List for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
Should additional information regarding this recruitment be required, please contact DJS Office of Human Resources at email@example.com Include the Recruitment Title/Number that is located at the top of the bulletin.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
DJS values the experience gained by Veterans while serving our country. Veterans are welcome to apply for all current recruitments.
Bilingual applicants are welcome to apply for all recruitments.