Society for Human Resource Management
Location: Alexandria, VA
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) has developed a competency-based HR certification based on the SHRM competency model. The Director, Certification Exam Development is responsible for directing the creation of exams that will be used to confer SHRM’s certification credentials. S/he is responsible for using competency-based models and tools to create and sustain exams. In addition, this position will ensure exam quality by using psychometric analysis, applying testing standards, following industry best practices, and including feedback from stakeholders such as the SHRM Certification Commission. This position will oversee multiple large-scale test content development efforts (at least two per year) involving stakeholders from across the SHRM family of brands.
This position is responsible for managing numerous support vendors, including a test development vendor, a test administration vendor, and individual Subject Matter Experts (SMEs). It is estimated that this position manages a contract budget of $4MM and a team of 15 contractors, along with almost 100 SMEs, per year. This position will also coordinate with the Manager, Certification Research to lead large-scale validation research efforts. This will require building executive-level relationships to obtain and manage data on candidate performance.
To ensure the exams are current and relevant, the Director, Certification Exam Development will work with the Manager, Certification Research and with other SHRM stakeholders (SHRM Foundation, etc.) to identify workplace and people management issues and trends that are relevant to HR professionals, CHROs, C-suite executives, and business leaders. S/he will ensure these trends are reflected in the exam content, then will coordinate with SHRM stakeholders to disseminate this content.
- Lead all efforts to develop exam content. This includes recruiting and training SMEs, working with SMEs and vendors to create, review, and analyze items, and deploying high-quality exam items and forms. (D)
- Lead all efforts to perform psychometric analysis, examine the item characteristics, review exam specifications, and build and equate forms for exam development. (D)
- Assure and maintain the quality of tests and standards for testing, using established industry standards and best practices. (D)
- Serves as a key technical expert in test development and exam design. (D)
- Manage multiple support vendor engagements to ensure test content development is moving according to specifications. This includes drafting contracts, facilitating management and legal review of those contracts, monitoring vendor progress against milestones, serving as a liaison between vendors and SHRM stakeholders, identifying performance issues and working with vendors to resolve them. (D)
- Demonstrate proficiency in project management and standing up high-stakes assessment and/or certification program content. (D)
- Maintain the item-banking process for competency-based certification test content. (D)
- Assist in developing a program of research and support all research and validation activities around the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP examinations. (W)
- Support the development of additional resources for HR professionals based upon competencies research and the SHRM Competency Framework. (M)
- Develop technical reports based upon analyses of test development research activities. (P)
- Provide statistical analysis to support interactions with the Certification Commission. (P)
- Develop and publish thought leadership content, in collaboration with Social Media, Professional Development, the Knowledge Department, Publications and other content producing and disseminating departments. (P)
- Work collaboratively within SHRM to integrate thought leadership activities with exam content to ensure alignment between exams and other SHRM offerings. Serve as an internal resource for content expertise. (P)
- Lead a team of contractors providing test development support.
- Lead a team of contractors providing test administrative support.
- Recruit, lead, and develop a corps of 100 SMEs to build and review test content.
- Lead support staff (interns/temporary support).
- Performance management and leadership skills to ensure effective execution of SHRM’s credentialing exams.
- Project management capabilities to ensure effective and efficient development of competency-based credentialing program.
- Advanced analytical skills in psychometrics and testing to ensure effective and efficient validation of competency-based credentialing program.
- Executive presence and excellent presentation skills, with the ability to persuasively present at high-level public events to practitioner and business audiences.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills are a must.
- Knowledge of the HR field and an extensive network of thought leaders in HR, business, government and consulting.
- SPSS, SAS, MS Office Suite
- At least 10 years of experience working in human resources or closely related field.
- Experience working in association-based certification or credentialing environment preferred.
- Minimum five years of experience managing contract-based relationships with vendors.
- Minimum least five years of experience working specifically on projects related to competency development, criterion validation, and competency-based assessment development. The incumbent must have experience with analyzing job requirements and conducting practice analysis and/or needs analysis for the purpose of developing a competency-based testing platforms. Expert knowledge of certification tests, assessment tools and methodologies or for developing such tools is required. The incumbent must have a background in statistics, statistical packages, and an advanced capability to connect scientific findings to bottom-line business results. Further, the incumbent must be able to relate these findings to non-scientific and/or executive audiences.
- Experience in project management and product development a plus.
- Familiarity with marketing and long-term business planning a plus.
For more information and to Apply, please click on the following link: www.shrm.jobs